Wednesday 8 June 2011

Feel the fear...bullsh@t

Fear. Why does it all seem to come back to fear. I had forgotten about my last but one post back in March when I read a Seth Godin blog yesterday.
He opines that if you are stuck on something, one of four things is getting in the way.

1. You don't know what to do.
2. You don't know how to do it.
3. You don't have the resources to do what you know and know how to do.
4. You're afraid.

When it comes to my weight loss there is no doubt I'm stuck. I'm also in no doubt about 1 to 3 on the list.
So it comes back to fear. I must still be fearful. So my mind turned again to what I might be afraid of, and a number of candidates popped their heads up to say hello and clamour for attention.

Maybe I'm afraid of the hard work involved in doing what I know is necessary over along enough time period to make it work.
Maybe I'm afraid of not having excuses. "I'm not a very fast runner because of my weight..." somehow feels more forgiving than "I'm not a very fast runner." And "I'm not attractive to women because I'm overweight" is a good deal easier to swallow than "I'm not attractive to women."
Maybe I'm afraid of not being me any more. I have been overweight for ever, and maybe deep down it's just such a part of my own self-image I'm afraid to let it go.
Maybe I'm afraid of the unknown. I've been overweight for ever, so I don't know what it's like not to be. Maybe I won't like it when I get there.

I need some more soul searching to decide what's really going on here. Maybe all of the above are a little bit true, however absurd they seem now I've written them down. It would be all too easy to reject all of them as stupid and not applicable. But I've already ruled out items 1 to 3, 4 is all I'm left with.
This is where the "feel the fear and do it anyway" mentality leaves me a bit cold. Easy to say. When it's the fear that is stopping you from doing it anyway, what then?

So I guess dealing with the fear is all that's left between me and success. Let me know if you have any bright ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment